Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Two Visits to the Hospital with Kidney Stones

The Wednesday before we planned to travel to Mississippi I got a sharp unbearable pain in the right side of my back. I had not ever felt anything like that before and hadn't done anything to cause it. After trying to live through the pain, it became unbearable and we headed to the hospital not knowing what was going on. After several tests and ultrasounds they found that I had a kidney infection and a possible kidney stone. It was the worst pain I had ever experienced including having a baby. They tried giving me morphine every two hours but it did not touch the pain AT ALL. They ended up giving me a very strong narcotic called Dilaudid. The medicine made me feel like I was in a coma. I could see everyone, but I could not respnd or talk to them. Actually, it was great because it was the first time I had gotten any relief. They kept us in the hospital for 24 hours of observation to make sure that I could handle the pain meds and to see if I passed any stones. Benjamin was such a trooper, even through me getting sick because of the pain, and took excellent care of me. They sent us home on Thursday night with strong pain meds and orders to rest. Praise the Lord, when I got up Friday morning I went to the bathroom and passed the stone. It was immediate relief in my back, but I was very sore for several days until all the pain worked itself out. I was so excited that this was over and thought I was done.....


Boy was I surprised when I woke up this Friday night with the same pain but in my left side. This time a lot worse than before. Not only was I having sharp pains in my back but i was also have very bad cramps, which felt like contractions, in my stomach. We again headed to the hospital not knowing if I was in labor or was having another kidney stone. They ruled that I had another kidney stone although I was dilated a bit and was having a few contractions. They gave me the same pain meds and had us stay for 24 hours for observation. As of now I am still at home waiting to pass the stone and spending a lot of time relaxing.

Both times we have gone to the hospital the people at Rex have been amazing. The doctors, nurses, staff and everyone else were so sweet and did everything they could to make sure we had everything we needed and that I was not in any unneeded pain. They monitored me several times and I was having some contractions so they told me that if Camp decided to come anytime soon they were not going to stop him. I am so proud because I would much rather go through labor than have another kidney stone. Maybe it won't be too much longer till I get to see my sweet baby boy and all this will seem worth it. : )

Comments:



comment by GG on 08/16/2009

Emma Claire: GG was so happy she got to spend this week playing with you and letting Mommy get some rest. I wish there were pictures or videos of us and all the fun things we did together like Exploring, Rock Climbing, Swinging, digging in the Dirt, playing in your Swimming Pool and making dessert together(Chocolate Delight)BUT...I will keep the memories close in my heart and we'll talk about them often so you don't forget how much GG loved spending special time with you. I love you SO BIG.




No comments:

Post a Comment