Thursday, October 16, 2008

I Potty, I Potty!!!

At Emma Claire's 18 month check-up her doctor said he believed that she was ready to begin potty training. She had started showing interest in the potty and she tells you either right before or right after she messes her diaper. So today I finally made the trip to the store to purchase her a potty. Of course it was such a hard decison to make because they have so many great options now. We settled for a middle-class one that plays music when you go potty. It was so sad to think she was old enough to start using the potty like a big girl.
When we got home from the store she had fallen asleep in her carseat so I put her straight to bed for her nap. While she was asleep I put everything together so it would be ready for her when she got up. The plan was to just let her see it, sit on it, and begin talking about what it was for. I was not at all ready for what happened next. I went in to get her up from her nap and her diaper was FULL. I changed her diaper and took her into the living room to see her new potty. (I had mopped the bathroom while she was sleeping so I had to improvise) She was so excited. I explained to her that we "shew-shew" (that is what we call pottying) on the potty and that she needs to tell mommy when she needs to go. I took her diaper off and let her sit on it for a minute and then she insisted that mommy needed to sit on it too! : ) I thought that was going to be that. I placed the potty in our hallway and went into our room to fold the laundry. Then out of the corner of my eye I saw her go sit on her potty (fully clothed) and the next thing I knew she came running into our room saying "Shew-Shew, Mommy, Shew-Shew!" I asked her if she needed to potty and she shook her head yes! I quickly felt her diaper and it was warm so I knew that she had just pottied in her diaper while she was sitting there dressed. Even though she wet her diaper while sitting there I was very proud of her for knowing what to do when she sat on the potty. I sat her down anyway without her diaper so she would begin to learn the concept and the next thing I knew she continued "shew-shewing" in the potty!! It was so crazy. I had just bought the potty today! Of course I know she may decide not to be fully trained until she is 3 years old, but I was so proud of her today. It was something brand new and she is quickly grasping the new concept. After we partied, sang, and got a sucker we got on speakerphone to call daddy. When he answered and I began to tell him what she had done she started yelling over me "I Potty, I Potty!!!". She knew she had done something great! She hasn't "shew-shewed" anymore in the potty by herself tonight but she is VERY interested. She tells us "potty, potty" and wants us to take her diaper off and she will sit there and then stand up and say "done". I am so proud of my sweet baby! I will keep you updated on our progress.

Comments:


comment by Caroline Cooley on 10/23/2008

what a smart girl you are!!!this is the cutest story!!

comment by RaRa on 10/16/2008

Unbelievable! You are so smart and catch on to things so quickly. I don't expect anything less of you knowing your parents as I do. I am anticipating more of the same in the days ahead. I am VERY proud of you Emma Claire Quinn! RaRa loves you very much!




No comments:

Post a Comment