Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Camp's 18 Month Check-Up

Today I took Camp to the doctor and it couldn't have been a better 18 month check-up. Dr. Dirk said that everything looked great and he could tell that he wasn't missing many meals. : )

One of my main concerns with this check-up was to talk about his talking. Camp will say about 10 words but other than that I don't really recognize any other words. I told Dr. Dirk that I'm trying really hard not to compare him to where Emma Claire was at his age, but he encouraged me and said this was completely normal. He said with him being the second child and having an older sister has a lot to do with it. Dr. Dirk said within the next three months he should really begin to pick up a lot of vocabulary and if not to call him at 21 months and we will re-evaluate him. He was so encouraging and said that we have absolutely nothing to worry about with him because he is just perfect. : )

Another thing we talked about was temper tantrums. To be honest, we really don't have a problem with this. Sometimes maybe once a week he will get upset about something, fall on the ground, and as soon as he realizes we aren't paying any attention to him he will get up and move on to something else. This doesn't mean that he isn't strong-willed! Just that we aren't struggling with tantrums at the moment. : )

We also talked about eating. Camp is one of the pickiest little eaters I have seen. One reason I love Dr. Dirk is because he is so down to earth and really understands the struggles we are dealing with. He said at dinner I only cook ONE dinner. Whatever I cook, I serve to the kids and either they eat it or they don't. He assured me that they were not going to starve and that they need to learn to eat what they are given. Otherwise, I will end up cooking 4 dinners every nite. This was really reassuring for me because Benjamin  had been telling me this for a couple of days now but I just couldn't stand the thought of Camp not eating. We'll see what the next few weeks will hold!

Dr. Dirk did put Camp on a Z-pak for a cough he has been struggling with for about two weeks. He just can't seem to kick it and keeps waking up at night choking. He said to go ahead and give him a couple of breathing treatments to help him overcome these allergies. This season change is just so hard on both of my babies. Thankful for meds to help them through it!

Camp has lost a little bit of weight since his last visit! I guess all of this running around outside on these pretty days has burnt some calories! : )

Stats at 18 Months:
Height: 34 inches @ 80% Percentile
Weight: 28 lbs 9 oz @ 78% Percentile
Head Circ: 38 cm @ 50% Percentile

Great 18 month check-up sweet boy! I love you.

3 comments:

  1. Girl, our boy, Judah was the same way. He was a lot later in the talking than Mackenzie was. But we still have issues with eating and I do the same thing as the Dr. told you. If he choses not to eat then he doesn't eat and he'll be hungry for breakfast the next morning. It is hard, but God will give you your strength.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worried about Baxter's language as well, and Dr. Joanne said basically the same thing as Dr. Dirk--he's fine, it will pick up. And man alive, did it! Though it is not always easy to decipher, Bax is now talking up a storm, complete sentences and all. I don't know what they said about temper tantrums, but I think at times Baxter's were related to the fact that he couldn't adequately express what he was feeling.

    AND both of my kids are picky eaters. We ask them to eat a couple of bites of everything, and I try to have something that they will eat at every meal. Right now, that means we are going through a lot of applesauce. Stay encouraged, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All in due time! I tend to fix foods that I know will be eaten as well, its just what Momma's do. This too shall pass. Praying for his vocab and his taste buds to flourish. You are a terrific "Momma". Love you!

    ReplyDelete